Sunday 21 November 2010

Focus Group

I got together a small group of people that would be my target audience. I showed them two examples of similar music magazines, X-Factor Magazine and Top of the Pops magazine.


X-Factor Magazine

Strengths discussed with my focus group: 
  • Exclusive interviews that you wouldn't find anywhere else due to the fact it is the only X-factor magazine with the interviews being reliable as it comes from them directly.
  • It is an extra element from the tv show. My focus group said they liked that they could get news from the show not just when the show is broadcast of television.
  • My focus group said it included all the bands they listen to and are interested in reading about.
Weaknesses discussed with my focus group:
  • My focus group commented that the front cover of the x-factor magazine had too many colours and the combinations did not go well. They agreed that it would be eye catching because of the colour combinations, but the bright pink and the off-colour green did not look right and compliment eachother well on the cover of the magazine.
  • The group said that there were too many pictures on the front cover, making it a very busy page. They found it hard to concentrate on with so many things going on the page.
Top of the Pops magazine

Strengths discussed with my focus group:
  • My focus group commented about how the colour scheme fits in well together and goes with the pictures on the page. They said the pictures on the page were quite dull in colour so there was not a contrasting colour scheme to go against them. They said it would be something that would catch their eye in a shop due to the bright pink circle on the cover and the bold purple cover.
  • The focus group said they would be attracted to the magazine in shop because of the large picture of Cheryl Cole on the cover. They said they would be more likely to buy a magazine with a large picture of a well known celebrity on the cover.
Weaknesses discussed with my focus group:
  • The male members of my focus group said that although the magazine does not contain the genres of music they are interested in, but they would also be put of off it because of the girly feminine colour scheme. They said to appeal to every person in the age group a more neutral colour scheme would be appealing to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment