Thursday 24 March 2011

Evaluation: Target audience

The target audience for my magazine is young teenagers aged 11-15 who are interested in pop music. I gathered this from my original target audience questionnaire, by determining their age and what things they look for in music magazines. I also decided this after doing institution research and finding that there isn’t really a magazine being published and distributed containing this type of music and appealing to such an audience. My target audience is primarily females, however there were some male answers to my survey and I still counted these as I could still open my magazine up to them and not limiting the audience.

http://rachelashby12.blogspot.com/2010/11/create-your-free-online-surveys-with.html

I posted my questionnaire onto my blog and also onto my personal facebook and twitter pages as I could get a larger amount of responses from it in the time I had to gather the responses. I had a mixed amount of responses, all falling between ages 9 and 19. I also had majority of female responses, but as previously stated, I still included these in my findings. I decided to limit my magazine audience to ages 11-15 as this is possibly the biggest gap in the market. There are already magazines aimed at the older age of this amount such as Top of the Pops and NME. Then for the younger ages there is nothing specific but Girl Talk could be included in this, although it is not based as a specific music

From my survey I also found out about the types of audience my now identified audience listen to. By asking questions such as ‘What genre of music do you listen to most?’ and ‘Who would you be more interested in reading an article about?’ I could gage who they are most interested in and what types of artists I should be including in my magazine. The top answers for these questions were Pop and Rock, with Pop having the majority. This told me this is the most popular music type being listened to by these type of people and it is the genre they would want to read about. I also found out that ‘Cheryl Cole’ and ‘The Killers’ were the most popular artists being listened to. This helped me as I could then decide what type of artist I should make my featured cover artist, due to the popularity of existing artists with my audience. Therefore the main artists I chose to include in my  magazine were one in the current UK Top 40, as these were to most popular artists identified and therefore including different artists like these would appeal to my audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment